Friday, September 5, 2008

Todd: US THAI CAFE

US THAI, Edgewater (Denver)

For "date night," we went to US Thai Cafe. We had driven by the place numerous times and I believe Micah got a recommendation that it was good.

With it being Friday night, I thought it might be busy but we were actually seated immediately. Though the outside of the restaurant isn't as extravagant as something like Swing Thai, the inside wasn't suffering from any kind of atmosphere deficiency. The music was soft but was mostly drowned out by the kitchen noise (which wasn't as bad as it sounds).

The service was definitely passable - equal to the grade of most Asian restaurants, anyway. The server took our order and the food came within expected timeframes.

Interesting things about the food. We ordered Spring Rolls for an appetizer, hot tea (which we think was Jasmine), and Micah had Pineapple Curry with Tofu while I ordered Pik Kai Laoding (described on the menu as Thai version of chicken wings), both dishes ordered "Medium." Micah claims that the spring rolls must have had mint leaves in them but the first thing I noticed was the wrapper tasted a bit like toothpaste. It was a little odd, but not in a bad way, and the warmed peanut sauce (yes, WARMED!) that came with them was excuisite.

While the Pineapple Curry was everything I expected it to be, my "Thai chicken wings" were the exact product that the words would make you expect. A tiny bit disappointing, considering I could make this myself in less than ten minutes if I had the sauce. Basically, they were chicken wings cooked and drenched in a spicy kind of soy/barbecue sauce, but they did taste good and were adequately messy.

While we both ordered dishes at "medium" heat, both were extremely spicy, but I wouldn't say they were overly so. If you are not used to having Curry dishes, I would suggest going "mild."

Final Verdict: While I had some very minor complaints, I'd rate this restaurant as a Friday. The service and food were both good, though if we go there again I will order something more traditional like Pad Thai.

No comments: