Sunday, September 7, 2008

Todd: ALAMOS VERDES

Alamos Verdes, Arvada

After not doing much but packing up the house yesterday, we decided to go out for a not-so-expensive dinner (particularly after Bloom on Saturday). We were in the mood for Mexican so I suggested a place I ride my bike near every time I commute.

Alamos Verdes immediately reminded me of a place closer to home, a restaurant called El Paraiso, and continued to do so throughout the evening. The inside was low-ceilinged, they have a nice patio and a large menu. We opted to stick with water for our beverage but shared the Guacamole Dip appetizer and then shared the Dinner #16, a bean-burrito and enchilada combo (we chose beef for the latter) smothered in their spicy green chile rather than mild red.

Both dishes we had were great, though I found the chile/sauce to be a bit thin. It was the perfect portion size to split between the two of us which means you'd best bring a large appetite if you're eating there alone or plan to order your own dish. The menu boasted that we were being served by three generations of the same family and that their dishes were all made by them; I believe this and I think the quality and care showed through.

Though the experience was a little marred by an EXTREMELY loud couple in the corner of the restaurant, I give Alamos Verdes high marks as Mexican places go. I got exactly what I was expecting, the service was good, and I would definitely go there again.

Final Verdict: Judging by the performance from a Sunday evening, the place wasn't all that busy so I can't say how wonderful the service would be on a Friday. You'd be brave to test it, but I'm sure the food would taste just as great.

No comments: